Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Operation Write Home



In my first post, I alluded to the real purpose of this blog. Sure, I need a place to post my cards for various challenges but I really hope My Noteworthy Cards becomes more. My hope is that this blog can be used to promote various 'card-giving' charities.

Everyone enjoys receiving mail. This past spring, my son had a school assignment where he asked every relative to send a postcard from where they lived. Because we don't have a lot of relatives, I asked a friend, who was going on vacation by car, if she would contribute. Soon, we were receiving cards not only from my friend (& from every state she drove through) but from her relatives and friends. My son and I could not wait for the mail to come. Each postcard put a huge smile on his face even when he didn't have a clue who sent it. And that is the premise of this blog. My hope is to spread joy by encouraging as many people as possible to make cards which are then sent to someone who could really use a smile.

If you know of a way to reach out to others through card making, please comment/email me. I will spread the word.

So here is the first worthy cause: Operation Write Home whose mission is to "support our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." Please follow the link to learn more about this incredible charity. Their website also has guidelines and tips for anyone who wants to contribute. Here is a rundown of some of their rules: No glitter or anything sparkly that could rub off on the soldiers' hands or clothes, 4.25" x 5.5" is the best and most practical size & Operation Write Home only accepts handmade cards. If you live in Central Ohio, please comment/email me and I will find a way to send the cards for you & save you the postage.

Now for my card: It's only fitting that my first "give-it-away" card uses the Stampendous Cling Music Score CRR103 (I'm a piano teacher & my blog's called My Noteworthy Cards). I also used the Stampendous Poppy Bottles SSC1092 & Vase Set SCC1093. Other supplies used include Memory Box paper, Glossy Accents, Copic Markers & Memento Tuxedo Black Ink.

Thanks for visiting & making someone smile.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the layering of the sheet music and the flowers! Beautiful!

    Fabulous cause that you've picked first to highlight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "cause" you chose. ...and the idea of reaching out to others. it spreads good ju-ju - and the world can definitely use lots more good ju-ju. Thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete